“Prosser on Torts” is younger than John McCain.
While researching this topic, I learned several things:
1. A “tort” is “the name given to a body of law that creates, and provides remedies for, civil wrongs that do not arise out of contractual duties.”
2. “Prosser on Torts” is a book that is widely regarded as the leading work on the subject of tort law… and has been so for many, many generations.
3. Many people believe that tort laws need to be reformed because the high costs of compensation awards are passed through to consumers. (It should be noted that others blame insurance companies and our very litigious society.)
4. John McCain’s take on tort reform includes voting for a bill “that would place caps on damage awards in medical malpractice suits against obstetricians and gynecologists” (Roll Call #15, 02/24/04) and a bill “that would bar lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms” (Roll Call #16, 02/25/04).
5. And, finally, Google Images still has a very, very long way to go (see above).
(Thanks to Jill and her co-workers for the tip!)